Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Cheer /Bah Humbug

 Christmas is supposed to be a joyous time.  Why is it that so many of us are stressed to the max preparing for this day?  Is it because we are trying to live up to an image of a perfect day, or is it because by the time the day actually arrives we are so over the whole thing. After all, stores have been decorated since before Halloween, you already can’t stand to hear another version of Drummer Boy and you hope Rudolph gets lost because you haven’t found just the perfect gift for your sister’s husband who you really don’t like.

In the Hallmark version of Cristmas none of those things happen.  Everybody gathers at Grandma’s house, everyone pitches in, the turkey is not too dry, nobody drinks too much eggnog, and Uncle John doesn’t go around pinching fannies.  It’s utopia and totally unrealistic, at least it is in most families. But it’s what we imagine we want because it’s just so warm and fuzzy.

So is it our own expectations of what Christmas should be that derails us.  I like to think that Christmas used to be simpler but I’m not sure if was ever simple.  

Now where did I put that roll of wrapping paper?  Did I remember to include the batteries in that toy for Peter?  Did I get a card for the mailman?  Is Santa going to fit down my chimney – wait  I don’t have a chimney. Well I better go get one first thing tomorrow.
 FALALALALALALALALA  

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that it's not necessary to get all stressed.

    Love,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying...family Christmas with my husbands family today. I'm pumping myself up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I may be in the minority but I've never stressed over Christmas. I really do enjoy it. We don't go overboard on anything. Simple decorations, simple meals, and our families (on both sides) well, we might be strange but we all get along great. My son won't be home for Christmas and I hate that but he'll be home early in January to celebrate. I guess as the children get older you have to learn to go with the flow. I hope YOU have a Merry Christmas!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day