Thursday, November 15, 2012

Past and Present

The last few weeks have just flown by.  We have been so busy with the grands I just realized that next week is Thanksgiving.  OMG that means Christmas is just around the corner.  Doesn't seem possible.

The good news is soccer and footbal is over for the season, however basketball is just starting.  I don't know how young parents today do it.  Having multiple kids in multiple sports is a full time job.  I was sitting next to a mom at grands basketball game the other night and her one son was playing.  At halftime she had to get up and go get her daughter who was practicing (not sure what) at a school across town and then would get back just in time to pick up the kids from the basketball game.By the time they would all get home it would be after 8:00 pm.  Homework, dinner at that hour. Our daughter and SIL and even the boys are tired all the time and I now know why.  This is their normal routine as I am sure it is for most young parents today. We, and our children, grew up in a slower time.  We didn't have to schedule activities for them, we just opened the door and told them to go out and play.  See ya later.  We didn't worry about perverts, or stalking or kidnapping.  It was probably always there but without the media coverage of today we lived in oblivion.  Lucky were we.  Anyway enough of that stuff, starting to sound like an old fart.
(back in my day we had to walk 600 miles to the nearest grocery store, uphill all the way, lol)

This last  week our travels took us to Pacific Grove, where the Monarch butterflies come to winter each year.  It is a sight to see.  We've also been to Santa Cruz, Capitola by the Sea and back to Monterey this past week.  Monday and Tuesday of last week were unseasonably warm for this time of year and we took full advantage.  We spent both days enjoying the salt sea air and spending the time leisurely strolling the beach and having lunch at the outdoor venues.  

Boardwalk at Santa Cruz
Pacific Grove


Stockton Bridge in Capitola by the Sea
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 



Never did get to Big Sur as we planned, maybe this week.  Went to the Monterey Aquarium over the weekend with the grands.   It is quite a place  - located right on the Monterey Bay. I've been to aquariums in Denver, Tampa, Long Beach and they're all the same and yet different.This one has the ocean surge coming over you through a plexiglass tube. You hear the roar of the water and then see it cascading down over the tube. Loved it.  The one in Tampa has you walking through a glass tunnel so that the fish are all around you.  That is quite spectacular.  After about an hour and a half the grands were bored so we went and walked around Cannery Row and ended up having dinner at Bubba Gumps - the kids enjoyed and the food was okay.

It's been pretty chilly here since last Wednesday.  Rainy a couple of days and down to the high 30's at nite.  I know, I  know, don't complain  because some of you are facing much colder weather and uglier conditions. The heater went out in the RV on Saturday and had to use the little space heater.  The guy was out Monday and ordered the part but it has not come in yet.  We'll get it back just as the temp goes back to the 70's.  Typical, right.

No romantic interludes or dancing this past week.  Our grandson was here and then we were just too tired and then too cold.  There is always hope for this week.  I'm getting a little testy so I know it's time.

See you later for more Aimless Ramblings.



32 comments:

  1. Good morning Sunnygirl.
    I wonder why everybody is making life so difficult. We invent all kinds of things to make life easier and than life gets more complex and using those new things is more time consuming.
    I am absolutely convinced that we need more stay-at-home moms to take care of kids.
    We are forgetting our main function in life in favour of getting the mortgage paid and the phones replaced every year.
    And yes, everybody is tired these days.

    That said, I can only repeat what I said before: I'm absolutely jealous about your travels.
    Hugs,
    Bas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bas, I agree, life was supposed to get easier but it doesn't appear someone got the message. Our kids are running around like crazy. My SIL is a high school principal and he worked all weekend and every night so far this week. That is not good for his family but it's what must be done.

      I believe I told you tht being jealous makes you green. We are lucky and we do know it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sunny, yep, it certainly is different to when we were growing up isn't it? Parents have turned into taxi cabs now days, the kids don't seem to go anywhere without Mom or Dad taxi cab.

    I too am jealous of your travels. Sounds wonderful, except for the heating issues that is. Thank you for giving us the update and for the pics, they are fantastic!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I swear they need an extra job just to pay for the gas going back and forth to the different activities.

      Don't be jealous, someday you may be doing the same thing. Heating issues have been resolved.

      Glad you enjoyed the pics. It's easy to take great pictures when the scenery is so cooperative.

      Delete
  3. I had to fight the feeling that I was a horrible mother - I let each kid pick ONE activity per season. I was so mean I told them that old mom had a live too and it wasn't the life of a chauffeur. They got to do stuff, but not as much as some other. I think they turned out all right.

    I hope you guys get some adult time this week, it is good for the soul!

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were smart. Our g'kids are scheduled to the max and I think their stress level is pretty high too. But that seems to be the norm these days.

      We're hoping for some adult time to. I think tomorrow might be the day.
      My soul needs it and so does my mind and body.

      Delete
  4. Yes, so different than when we were growing up. Keep the travel news coming, love to hear all about your visits.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So different than when we grow up and I don't think it's better.

      Can't wait to heat about your trip.

      Delete
  5. Great pics Sunnygirl and enjoyed hearing about your travel. It is hard to believe that Christmas and Thanksgiving are almost here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks S. I can't believe the holidays are just around the corner.

      Delete
  6. So glad you are enjoying your travels sunnygirl...I have two in stuff and I have no idea how I will do it with a 3rd. We limit our kids as well. It's still a lot. I stay home too...I can't imagine working all day outside the home (cause let me tell you, I work...I just don't get paid) and then driving from one thing to another and not eating till 8. Yikes! I am able to feed them before activities thank goodness. Hope you get your...um...fix soon:)
    Bea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does get ridiculous after a while. I was mistaken when I thought soccer was over, it was just the regular season that was over. This weekend, because they are so very lucky, they get to pay in tournaments. Three games each on Saturday. So parents and grandparents will split up and try to cover at least one of each game.

      Hopefully the fix will happen tonight or I can't guarantee sanity tomorrow.

      Delete
  7. The pics are gorgeous and it sounds like you are having a wonderful, if exhausting time :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The pictures are gorgeous. Ward & I both find peace by the sea. Hope it continues to be an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, hubby and I just love the sea. It soothes are soul and we miss it so when we're removed from it for very long.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the wonderful pictures, sounds like a grand time. I too was relieved when soccer & field hockey ended but then started right up with bball. It is exhausting and no I do not know how I do it.

    I do hope you get to Big Sir and that you get your dancing & romantic time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you being a single mom knows what it's like. From your posts it sounds like that leads to most of your disagreements with your guy. It's crazy.

      Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  10. Parents are exhausted and your daughter and her husband are so lucky to have you and hubby come and take up the slack for a while. Being a grand parents must be a wonderfully rewarding experience, and I am sure looking forward to the day. I have never been to California but it certainly looks beautiful, enjoy your time with the family :)
    And...Sunny...isn't the cold the best time for canoodling ?
    hugs
    lillie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful and you will enjoy immensely.

      California is a lovely place, the difference between the north and the south is like night and day. Both beautful but so different. We are enjoying our time.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the update! Fun to see all your wanderings.

    I too don't like how much parents and kids are pulled all over the place. Even though they get so much more "supervision" than we did, I'm not sure that they get more family time. That worries me some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susie

      Thought of you when we were at the aquarium on Sunday.

      I agree there is too much scheduling. They get more supervision but not enough time to be "kids". They don't know how to be quiet and just read a book or entertain themselves. It's like they need the constant rush to function.

      It worries me to Susie.

      Delete
  12. Oh my the fotos are beautiful!! happy vacationing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as I said to someone earlier, it's easy to have beautiful pictures when you have spectacular scenery to work with.

      Delete
  13. Hey Sunny - The pics are beautiful. Happy to hear you are enjoying your family so much. Hope you get to Big Sur soon. Think kids today have too many scheduled activities - not enough time being kids. Just my opinion. Here's hoping you get in some romantic interludes and dancing soon!

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. Doesn't do it justice though, need a panormic camera for that.

      I agree with your opinion, see my comment to Susie above.

      Keepying fingers crossed for tonite but as I look over on the couch hubby is already resting his eyes. Maybe he is just getting his second wind.

      Delete
  14. Nice to hear an update. Great pictures, seems like you're having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having fun. Glad to read you news too. Be careful though

      Delete
  15. I am not exactly nor have I ever been one for to many organized activities....I tried, but I am sure that's why my kids never were into sports in HS.
    I grew up when you could play outside and just come in when the street lights came on... or....when mom and dad called you in. We played snake in the grass, catch one catch all, spud and many many more games.
    I love hearing about your travels, we live vicariously through you both right now, and looking forward to the day we can pack up and travel across the country.
    Glad the time with the family is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way we grew up too. Actually daughter did too. Our neighborhood was frought with kids and everybody kept an eye out for everone else. it was a much easier time.

      Soon for you guys - it'll come quicker than you think.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day