Friday, December 13, 2013

Superstitions, Snippets and Sass

Friday the 13th. Wow, are any of you superstitious? Not me so much.  I've had a black cat, walked under ladders, purposely stepped on the cracks of sidewalks and nothing horrible has happened as a result of those things.  I used to know why this date was considered unlucky, you know one of those little bits of trivia.  Unfortunately, it's rattling around in my brain somewhere but not coming forth.  Can anybody refresh my memory?

I planned on doing this before the book was published but the date was moved up and then life got hectic and I haven't had a chance until now. So here is an excerpt from my latest book release, Love is Where You Find It  It is the story of a retiring rodeo cowboy who has loved and lost and the girl he befriends who has lost and loves.  

When Randy finds a young woman sitting on a bench crying, he does the decent thing by giving her a ride. This scene takes place as the miles away from Cheyenne increase and she begins to open up a little and share some of her background.  The men in her life have always disappointed her and she is a little reticent to accept that not all men are alike.  



"Well, Mr. Randy Colburne, this must be my lucky day.  I found the one cowboy who goes against the grain.  And yes, I could use a hand up and no, I am not looking for a handout."

"After you meet some of the good folks in my neck of the woods you may change your tune about cowboys.  Most of my friends would be more than willing to help out anybody down on their luck and I can't think of anyone I know who would treat a lady the way you've been treated.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm saying it is not anyone I know."

"Are you telling me you've never raised a hand to a woman before?"

"That's what I'm saying and I'll tell you why.  When I was about ten years old there was a girl in my class that teased me something awful.  One day I couldn't take it anymore and I turned around and punched her in the arm.  When my daddy found out he took me out to the woodshed ad wore out my backside with his best.  Momma told me she was glad he got there first or I would have two whippings that day because she would have cut several switches and worn me out before he got home.  I learned my lesson.  So to answer your question, no, I've never raised a hand to a woman.  Now spanking, that's another matter.  I have no compunction about taking a naughty woman over my knee for a little fanny warming when needed."

She laughed softly and it sounded like bells tinkling.  He loved the sound of it and hoped it was only the start of the ice beginning to thaw.  He liked her but knew there wasn't any way she was ready for anything more than friendship right now.  With any luck and over time he wondered if he would be able to wear down that protective armor she carried around with her.

Have a great weekend everyone and I'll see you later for more Aimless Ramblings.


11 comments:

  1. At last, just downloaded it to my Kindle.

    Have a fab weekend.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ronnie. If your Kindle is like mine, it will be a while before you get a chance to read.

      Delete
  2. Friday the 13th is actually a lucky day for me...for reasons I won't explain here...can't wait to read your book!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only another day. I would love to know the reasons sometime.

      Delete
  3. Married on the 13th. Funny it was the only date not booked with the wedding hall.: D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get a discount? Glad it worked out for you - not unlucky at all.

      Delete
  4. LOL Sunny...I have never understood the logc behind not having a floor numbered 13...those on the 14th floor are actually on 13! SMH Here is some interesting info regarding Friday the 13th that you might want to file away for incorporation in another of your wonderful stories: http://web.archive.org/web/20020825075944/http://www.tafkac.org/misc/friday_the_13th_origins.html

    Thanks for the snippet...looks like this is another awesome story! Still have gotten the books on my TBR list downloaded...hope to do that after the Christmas madness has passed!

    Hugs and Blessings..
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link Cat. I saved it for future reference.

      I never understood the logic either, it's still the 13th floor or 13th whatever - you call it. Craziness

      Delete
  5. My brother was born on a Friday the 13th and the boy has had awful luck I swear. Poor guy.

    Anyway... the book sounds really cute. Looking forward to reading it :)

    love
    sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that, but sometimes I think we have to stop focusing on the negative and focus more on the positive.

      Delete
  6. We had our work Christmas lunch on Friday and the day was started with getting in the car to work only to find a dead battery. Had to taxi to buy a new one and back, but it in and get to work resulting in a very late start to work. Secret santa gifts were already under way and it was a tad uncomfortable joining in late ... oops!

    Love the snippet from the new book. Looking forward to reading this!

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day