Thursday, March 6, 2014

Catching Up

Mardi Gras is over.  It was the best fun we have ever had.  Of course, all our friends and family being able to share it with us made it that way.  The weather has basically sucked since we been here.  Galveston is experiencing the worst weather they have had ever for this time of year, just like many other parts of this country and for that matter, the world.  It was supposed to be sunny and warm.  Guess what, I think there have been 5 sunny days max since 2/1 and it's never been sit on the beach with a book weather. As long as you keep moving, the beach is great, but not just sitting and enjoying. Complain, complain, complain.

Last nite the six of us were sitting around after viewing the parade in 38 degree rainy weather and one of our friends said I am no longer in charge of picking places to gather.  Despite it though, it has been fun.  We have a bucket full of beads (no idea what we're going to do with them) caught up with friends we hadn't seen in a while,  Ray got to go fishing (not out of the ship channel though because the fog has been too heavy) and we laughed, drank and ate much too much.

The Mardi Gras Festival has been going on over the last two weekends. From what I've read, Galveston has the 2nd or 3rd largest Mardi Gras in the country.  This year's celebration was the 103rd annual.  Houses along the parade route are decorated to the nines, the costumes of those participating in the parade are phenomenal but many of the general populas are dressed in costume too.  It's not just relegated to the youth either, people of all ages are partying. It's quite an experience and I'm glad we didn't miss it.

Last night's parade was the final and it was curtailed by the weather.  The streets were almost empty compared to other parades and their were only two bands.  Can't blame them though who wants to be slogging through wet sloppy streets playing instruments and strutting your stuff,while the rain continues to pour down.  The absolute best parade was last Saturday nite.  It was one of the five sunny days and it started along Seawall Blvd (which runs along the beach) and then goes downtown to The Strand.  The parade took well over an hour, the floats great, costumes, bands. It was terrific.  Unfortunately, I was too busy competing for beads to take any pictures. If your interested in seeing pictures you can google Mardi Gras Galveston 2014 - there are some great pictures to get the flavorof the scene.

We're set to take off from here on Saturday.  We planned on staying longer but the weather doesn't look to improve.  Thought about going further south but instead just heading up to Dallas area.  

Ray and I have done some dancing lately, apparently I've been a little grumpy with the gloomy weather (after all I am a Sunny Girl, :) )  He reminded me how lucky we are and I told him that I guess I needed a reminder.  He was only to happy to oblige. We played the game of my guessing which implment he was using.  I would get five swats after I guessed correctly.   After a while, the only thing I could differeniate was between wood and leather.  He finished up with the horrible tilt wand and I guessed that immediately. Imagine that. I have since found a new home for that partiular item (I think it's in my secret place, wherever that may be).

I know this is Q & A month and I will be happy to answer any questions.  I might even do a Q & A post once our move is over and we're settled for a bit. Until then, see you later for more Aimless Ramblings.  I'm off to lunch with one of my Florida friends who came for a visit.  Gotta love her stamina, I've told her what kind of weather we have been having and she came anyway.





33 comments:

  1. Hey Sunny

    You do have a lot of adventures :) Mardi Gras sounds so much more exotic than Fasching as they call it here, but we've had the manic Carnival time and my kids got to dress up, and walk round the village collecting sweets, which is more than any child should ever have, of course being the good mum I had to confiscate a substantial amount lol not very good for my efforts of losing this winter fat before spring really sets in.

    I'm sorry you had such bad weather though, we must be the only country in the world this winter who managed to bypass the horrible cold, we've been sort of stuck in a fake spring, the birds especially the sucks have been back for weeks now.

    Hmmm for question, where has been the best place you've travelled to on your adventure ??

    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky to have bypassed the bad weather so many are suffering through.

      I will answer your questions in a post I'll put up on Saturday.

      Delete
  2. Ducks not sucks lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sunny, so glad to hear you had such a wonderful time at the Mardi Gras with family and friends. It sounds like a fantastic experience. Sorry the weather didn't play it part in proceedings for you though. Summer for us has been far less than stella this year.

    Hooray for the dancing although ouch to the tilt wand. A secret hiding place is the best place for it!

    For my question, are you and Ray any closer to deciding where you may want to settle and if so where?

    Hugs,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  4. This has been a wild winter. We need rain but just keep getting ice. Not even two inches of water for the entire year so far. Scarry. Glad you had fun even if it was a bit soggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't know where you are but in Central California they too are suffering through drought. Strange year weatherwise.

      Delete
  5. Mardi Gras sounds such fun! The closest we have to a similar thing in the UK would be the Notting Hill Carnival.
    I have had the fortune to drive up Highway 1 between LA and SF, beautiful scenery. Do you have a favourite highway?

    hugs
    DF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Notting Hill Carnvial. Is it like they portray in the movie Notting Hill. It is one of my favorite movies.

      I agree with you about Rte. 1 = absolutely spectacular and it is my favorite.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sunny, gosh you and Ray have had a lot of excitement in your travels. My question is where is the one place you wish you could visit but can't?
    love Jan.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been lucky.

      Check in on Saturday for answers to questions.

      Delete
  7. SG,

    Sorry about the weather but still great to be with friends.

    My questions - What would your dream house be and where and have you ever travelled outside of the States?

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, friends make everything better.

      Answers on Saturday.

      Delete
  8. Is there a place where it's sunny and warm? I'm beginning to wonder. I can't even imagine how my northern friends are handling this winter. Can't wait to complain about the heat. But I'm glad you had friends around, that make anything better. If I send you a couple of canes (that we don't need here) could you hide them for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Phoenix is sunny and warm - it's where we left.

      Delete
  9. It is minus 8 here this morning.....the lowest temperature ever for March!!! Mardi Gras sounds like so much fun...i have friends in Texas, might have to plan a trip around that time! Safe travels.....

    Question....When/how did you start writing??

    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh abby -8 can't even imagine.

      I will answer questions in Saturday's post.

      Delete
  10. Aww, sorry the weather was so uncooperative but it does sound like you guys made the best of it. How do you travel so much? I think I asked before but maybe it's a secret? :)

    Hopefully you had fun with your friends in spite of the naughty weather. We have never gone to Mardi Gras for real but I did go to a theme park version once. It was still fun and my sister sat on top of her husband's shoulders and got lots of beads they threw from the parade. We didn't know what to do with them either so we gave them to little girls for dress up. Maybe there are some good ideas on Pinterest?

    hugs
    sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea about Pinterest for the beads. Actually, thought about giving them to some day care. Thanks. This Mardi Gras was our first and it was fun.

      I'm answering all questions in Saturdays post.

      Delete
  11. Hi Leigh, Mardi Gras always looks like fun but we have never made it there. You said the tilt wand is your least favorite, but what is your favorite implement?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, you're not that far away, should drive over the bridge one of these years. It's fun.

      Answering questions in Saturday's post.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sunny,
    Great to hear about your trip. Despite the weather you seemed to make the best of it. It sounds like you had a wonderful time celebrating Mardi Gras with friends. Now, how do you earn all those beads? :-) Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a fun time-bummer about the weather though. Eww-a tilt wand-that just sounds horrific! I'm pretty sure I'd try to find a secret spot also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I hate the tilt wand - it's in a very secret place, but I could find it if someone else asked nicely- no one in this household though.

      Delete
  14. Nice that you enjoyed Mardi Gras even though the weather wasn't the best. And I guess the spanking was an extra bonus.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you enjoyed your time, sorry the weather didn't cooperate though!

    If you could only have one implement used from here on out, which would it be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a good time, better weather would have just made it better.

      Questions answered in Saturday's post.

      Delete
  16. Hi Sunny, :) Sounds like you and Ray have managed to have a good time, despite the disappointing weather! Mardi Gras sounds fun!

    My question- did you figure out what to do with all those beads??? LOL

    Wishing you days of nice weather ahead. Still freezing around here. And btw- "guess the implement" sounds kinda fun! :) Many hugs,

    <3 Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have Katie, but then our weather hasn't been as early bad as yours.
      Hoping your weather improved soon.
      No, beads are all in a bucket. Thinking of finding a day care to be used for dress up and such.
      Guess The Impliment is fun - you should try it sometime.
      Questions answered in Saturday's post.

      Delete
  17. Wow Sunny...sounds like you had a lot of fun...even with the yucky weather. I was lucky enough to be in New Orleans for carnival week and my hotel was on one end of Bourbon Street...close enough to walk to all the fun but far enough away that I could sleep. LOL

    Looks like you have a lot of questions so I will just come back and enjoy your answers when you get them posted. ;)

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have a lot of fun despite the weather. I can just imagine that Galveston's Mardi Gras is probably tamer than NOLA's, because on any night Boubon street is a festival for the senses.

      Delete
  18. Sounds like you had a wonderful time, even despite the weather. :) We've had mostly snow here, though seem to be having a break right now, thank goodness. :)

    Question... hm, if you could change one thing about the past year, would you? And what would that be?

    {{{hugs}}} EsMay

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day