Saturday, December 29, 2012

More Aimless Ramblings

I got a Christmas card the other day that was forwarded to us from a person I worked for when I first moved to California.  He mentioned we have been exchanging these once a year cards for forty years.  I thought that's not possible but guess what, no matter how I counted, it still came out the same. Would we recognize each other after all this time? I don't think we've even exchanged pictures since 1992.  It made me think about how many things have changed and how many things have remained the same.  It's funny but you don't realize all the changes until you look at them as a whole.  They happen a little every day so you get used to them a little at a time but when you look back, WOW.  

Another  recent epiphany happened when we were visiting the grands.  We were looking at old photos and they asked who those people in the photo were. When I answered me and Grampy, they stopped and seriously looked at us.  They are much too polite to say anything but you can see their brain saying "no way". You know you are older, you know you look older, but you don't realize how different you look to those who have only seen you as older. In my mind I'm not as old as the calendar says.  I still think I'm the age my daughter is now.  I know that's not possible but that's what my mind tells me. The mirror and my body say something else.  The years fly by in the blink of an eye.

2012 was a pretty adventuresome year for us.  I became an aimless wanderer writing Aimless Ramblings.  Along the way we have made many changes, had lots of laughs, seen some great new places, visited with family and friends,  met some fantastic new people and experienced great personal loss.  But we've survived. Pretty well actually, considering we're together, along with a crotchety old cat,  24/7 in a 32' feet of space. We've had some rough spots but not many. 

2013 - already thirteen years into the new millenium. Wonder what changes this new year  will bring?  Resolutions anyone?   

I hope for better things for the world during this next year.  It would be wonderful if we could all learn to accept each other's idiosyncracies, without judgment,  and just live and let live.  Do I think it will happen?  Unfortunately, the answer is NO, but I'm a sunny girl and I think if we each tried just a little it might happen someday. One day at a time, one step at a time. Everyone would benefit from this one resolution.

" Everytime you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask if you want to be a 
prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future"   
                                                    Deepak Chopra

30 comments:

  1. Oh I like this Sunny. One day at a time, one step at a time. My cuz's and I actually talked about this tonight!
    I also never see how I look now. I look in the mirror and see what I remember...accept for the weight...that I see. Then I see my old pictures and the kids will say, 'wow you were so young....or dad has so much hair.' lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, our mind's eye is much different than the reality.

      Delete
  2. Hey Sunny - I love this post. I totally agree with you - it would definitely be wonderful if we could all learn to accept each other's idiosyncracies, without judgment, and just live and let live. That is something I will definitely add my prayers to.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cat. If we all pray, we can make a change, even if it's a little one. Maybe we can get rid of trolls.

      Delete
  3. Love this too Sunny. Isn't it amazing when you look back and realise what has changed. You just don't notice day to day.

    Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could just accept and appreciate each other for what we are, and have understanding and tolerance of our differences. The world would be a much better place.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not only amazing, its scary. LOL

      Let's hope and pray for a better world.

      Delete
  4. It's hard to comprehend it when you finally reach an age you once thought was old. I feel the same inside that I did when I was a youngster. I guess we all do.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a beautiful resolution. Wouldn't it be amazing if everyone was just a little less judgmental...just a little would make such a profound impact in the world

    13 years into the new millennium! Wow! Wasn't the whole y2k scare just a couple years ago. Time really does fly. So the moral... Make every second count! Don't let life just pass you by... Thanks for the reminder.

    Happy New Year!

    P

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this :) It is amazing how time flies, and how in the midst of just living life, you fail to see the time just slipping away. Your post reminded me of one of my very favorite songs:

    Remember when thirty seemed so old
    Now lookin' back, it's just a steppin' stone
    To where we are, where we've been
    Said we'd do it all again
    Remember when

    Remember when we said when we turned gray
    When the children grow up and move away
    We won't be sad, we'll be glad
    For all the life we've had
    And we'll remember when

    This year I look forward to the birth of my fourth child...being married to my love for 13 years....and trying to learn to live in the moment....we will see how that goes!

    Here is hoping you have a wonderful New Year :)

    ~Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song, thanks for the reminder. Hope you have a wonderful New Year also.

      Delete
  7. People change more on the outside than at the inside.
    Look at me, I don't feel very different than when I was 5 years old. That makes looking in the mirror a horrible adventure.
    But the real prove came, not so long ago, when Son found a picture of Lisa shot at the day we officially started dating, almost 40 years ago. He looked at that picture for a long time, asked "Are you sure that is really Mom?" He looked another time, and said: "OK, Dad, I hate to admit it, but you do have a good taste in women".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't go so far as 5 but I would take about 40-50.

      Mirror. Everytime I look in it, someone else is there.

      Delete
  8. Sunnygirl,
    Oh I loved this post:) It was funny because just last night, we were at my inlaws and there is a picture that hangs on her wall of Mr. B and I when we got married 10 years ago (almost 11). I told Mr. B.....just look at us....we were just babies! Which we really were....I was 19 and he was 21. Anyways.....Time does go so very fast and sometimes I just want to hit the pause button, just for a moment. I loved your resolution. I think that is a great one and I agree that everyone would benefit from it!

    I love your ramblings and thank you for sharing:):)

    Belle:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful resolution!!! It is sometimes hard to reconcile how we look now when we feel no older, at least for me :) I have a framed pic of Musicman and myself, on a shelf in my kitchen, right over the sink where I can see it everyday. It was taken when we were dating, almost 28 years ago now. I no longer look much like the girl in that pic, but I still feel like her. I guess that's probably what counts. Happy New Year Sunnygirl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feel like her in my head. My body tells me other things. LOL

      Happy New Year to you and MusicMan

      Delete
  10. We were looking at old photos over Christmas, how times flies. I remember thinking, gosh 50, that's old. I still feel young inside.

    SG, can't seem to find email address for you.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunrise, Sunset, quickly go the years. Much too quickly.

      Delete
  11. What a sweet post! It's amazing at how fast the years go by.
    What a great resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mollie had us looking at old videos, her first Christmas and LJ getting ready for the new baby. Seems like no time and it seems like a lifetime ago. I expect wonderful things in the new year. And if nothing else I can make me more tolerant and accepting of others.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Seems like yesterday daughter was younger than her kids are now. Doesn't seem possible.

      Delete
  13. Sometimes I too wonder who the woman in the mirror is...she has my same red hair but surely those lines don't belong to me....

    I think we in this community do w generally better job at acceptance of others, funny that most of 'polite society' considers us the deviants. Happy 2013, many blessing gs and many more ecstatic aimless wanderings, sunnygirl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else is always in my mirror also.

      I agree with you that we are a more open minded community, now if we could just expand our circle, it would be wonderful.

      Happy 2013 to you also. I know it will be better becaause Ward will be around with you.

      Delete
  14. You utter words of wisdom Sunny! There is a line from Kiplings 'If' that goes something like "If you could fill the unforgiving minute with 60 seconds worth of time run..." It's brilliant because you never know what's around the corner so you need to make every second count. Seize the moment!

    Ageing, as far as I am concerned, sucks!!! Act your shoe size!

    Every time I look in the mirror I see my mother looking back at me. Yet I feel so young inside. And that is what counts! I think I'm probably the oldest girl around this community from what I can see - and you know what? I don't care because life is for living!

    Why don't you organise an on line party Sunny? Are you somewhere warm at the moment? Could we have it outside? Can I come? I'll bring chocolate devil's food cake and a very English trifle. Can you accommodate?

    Many hugs and a Happy New Year for 1213. Ami

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would be happy to host. I'm in Arizona where it is supposed to be warm but apparently it hasn't received the message. Mind you it's not terrible but definitely cooler than I expected.

    Aging does suck. As I told Bas my mirrors seem to be broken because when I look somebody else is always there. I doubt you are the senior member. At 68, I think I am, but like you I still feel young (in my mind anyway) and I know I think young. There are a couple of us more mature folks around but you know, the young ones, help to keep us current.

    I am enjoying your blog. Glad you stopped by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day