Wednesday, August 29, 2012

LIFE IS A GIFT


This is for all those readers who are in the youth of middle age and beyond.  We all want to be young and while it is wonderful to be young it isn't so bad being older either. (or at a higher level of maturity-sounds a little better, doesn't it)  

I've just lost someone very near and dear to me. She was young. Maybe not as young as some of you but too young to die so soon.  She always lived life to the fullest, never met a stranger, had a smile that could lighten a room  and her heart and spirit were enormous. She was looking forward to many more years, wanted to see her children continue to thrive and dance at her grandchildren's weddings. 

Today I received this and thought it was so timely and a reminder of just how precious life is no matter the age.


As I've aged, I've become kinder to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world, too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.

Whose business is it, if I choose to read, or play, on the computer, until 4 AM, or sleep until noon? I will dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the 50, 60 &70's, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.

I will walk the beach, in a swim suit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves, with abandon, if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set.
They, too, will get old.

I know I am sometimes forgetful. But there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And, I eventually remember the important things.

Sure, over the years, my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break, when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car? But, broken hearts are what give us strength, and understanding, and compassion. A heart never broken, is pristine, and sterile, and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning gray, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.

As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old. It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be. And I shall eat dessert every single day (if I feel like it).


Life is a gift, embrace it.  See you later for more Aimless Ramblings.

32 comments:

  1. Life is a gift, embrace it.
    Sunnygirl, You've just described what keeps me alive.

    Sorry about your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bas I think it's what keeps us all alive.
      Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sunny, this is so profound. Life is too short and we lose so many people we love earlier than is fair. The lesson above teaches us to embrace what really matters.
    I am so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this captured how so many of us "older folks" feel. Life is precious and not to be wasted.

      Delete
  3. {{{Hugs}}} I'm so sorry for your loss. Sending lots of strength and positive energy as you all face this new reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers for strength and positive energy. We all need it, my brother most of all. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  4. I loved that! I couldn't agree more either. I'm so sorry for you loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs....it is so hard to say good-by, most so when it happens way too soon. I have read the above before, it is good to be reminded..if only I could convince Master about the desser part. I have found life can get better during its second half....I wish that for all my friends!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe once you reach your goal, which is in sight, Master will relent. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Delete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. A reminder to live life the fullest you can and to be grateful and embrace all the joys. Life is indeed a gift. I look forward to the freedom of not caring what other people think...I have many smile lines and plenty of grey and lots of hope for the future. I am very sorry for your loss. Sending warm thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful reminder. So sorry for your loss sunnygirl.

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so hard losing people who are near and dear to our hearts. Though it does remind us what life is really all about. And this sums it up wonderfully.

    *plops down and hands sunnygirl some tea.
    This being August and all, and having attended the memorial of the most young spirited and happy woman I have ever known last week, I can safely say that you aren't alone in your sadness.
    And sometimes that's all we need to know--life is for living and we aren't alone in our experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true - it's no rewarding to know the support of family and friends both named and unnamed. Thank you for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry to read about your loss SG.

    Life is too short so live it to the full.

    Thanks SG.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie. Yes life is short and very fragile - not to be wasted.

      Delete
  11. Sunnygirl,
    I like this and I'm going to keep a copy for myself. I'm there and I too love being older, wouldn't go back if I could. I'm me and I don't even thing of trying to be someone else. I have no envy of those beautiful young women struggling to 'find themselves' I finally found me and I love it!

    I hope to hear from you soon.

    Love ya,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a reminder to enjoy the place we are and not waste precious time thinking about what was or what could be but enjoying what is.

      Thanks PK

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss, Sunnygirl. Beautiful post and I send you a hug.

      Delete
  13. Oh, that really hurts, to lose someone before it feels like it was time. So sorry for your loss.
    There is something so beautiful about aging. I was thinking about it today, while waiting for Ian, and the trees have begun to turn here. I thought, I hardly noticed them when they were green and lush, but now that they have adorned their end of life finery, all I can do is stare. I wonder if they are satisfied, and happy, that now they can be seen as individuals, yellows, red, ambers, oranges until they let go their hold and float silently to the earth? I think so, I know I am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lillie for your kind words. Aging is a privilege that should not be wasted. The trees will soon be in all their glorious splendor and just like us they had their time in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs to you- and thanks for the reminder!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the hugs. In this youth oriented society, we need to be reminded that "older" is not a disease. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sunnygirl, your friend and family member was very fortunate to have had you in her life - someone who thought and spoke so highly of her, and will treasure her memory. I am glad you have such a wonderful remnant of her spirit within you to bring you solace in this time of sadness.

    My mother was 21 when I was born, half a century ago. I don't see an "old woman" when I first look at her, I only ever see the mom of my youth and hers! Then, I notice she has some of the same lines on her face as me, we have age spots on our hands, we both have aches in our joints and move a little more gingerly this year compared to last, we tire more easily. This has been happening, slowly, almost imperceptibly, to my mother for a long time. To me, not until fairly recently and only a little of this and that.

    I didn't really notice any of these things about my mother 20 years ago, when she was the age I am now. It's strange I didn't actually acknowledge evidence of her age until after I witnessed signs of my own, slowly advancing on me. I think maybe I didn't want to see that in her. I think I still don't, because I know age will claim her some day. But, until then, I will always see her, first, the way she looked when she was 26, hanging balloons in the back yard for my 5th birthday party.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.

    The love you feel for your mother comes shining through. Enjoy each moment because they are so precious. Time slips by in a blink of the eye.

    I just looked down and noticed my hands. They are old hands but I am still young at heart and in spirit. I wish the same for you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, once fully grown, our spirit stays the same age forever. It can become weary, hurt, jaded, cautious, but remains forever young. We must heal and rest from any assaults on it, but it is resilient and carries the power of our youth, ready and able to fly free when we let it.

      Irishey

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day