Friday, July 27, 2012

Memories

I suffer from motion sickness and what helps me is to read while moving.  I know strange because most people get motion sickness from reading in a moving vehicle.  What can I say?  I just finished three books in 1 1/2 days and my eyes were tired and very dry so I chose not to read today.  As we traveled along part of the route took us on US 40 and parts of it criss -crossed what used to be Rte. 66.  I started paying attention to the miles and miles of emptiness.  I thought about the first time I had made this trip- just the opposite direction. It was 1969 and my girlfriend and I were in my car, with a u-haul on the back ( I couldn't then and still can't back up - so it was pull thru or bust) heading for California.  I didn't think much about it then but in reality it was an adventure.  We were a couple of young chicks traveling alone.  No cell phones, no GPS, just a dream to live in California. 


The dream became a reality and my friend and I are still friends. As a matter of fact she introduced me to my husband. Neither one of us live in California any more. 


It was just the first of my many trips across this beautiful country of ours and every time I see things that man cannot possibly have imagined and think about the people who first saw and settled this great country.


Enough Aimless Ramblings for today.  See you later.  Make it a great day.

9 comments:

  1. There are parts of this country I cannot begin to imagine the courage it took to settle!It is awe inspiring to imagine their lives back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. It's funny but whenever we go through a particular area that was probably treacherous back then because it looks forbidding even now I remark to my husband how the first settlers must have felt. It's become a joke between the two of us.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I traveled to CA with my family when I was a kid I remember going across the Rockies and my dad saying "Don't you know the pioneers in their covered wagons were happy when they hit this four-lane." It really got us looking around and trying to imagine the courage and determination they must have had.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see by my comment to Minelle I always think that way too. I guess I have always been enamored of the west. Wonder if I lived there back then?

      Delete
  4. My eyes are tired and very dry from reading to many blogs.
    That's great, just two girls (how old, can you have been back then, 4 or 5?) driving to California, I thought that just happened in films. Wanted to be actresses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Early twenties and just wanted to get as far away from home as possible, not that it was horrible, just too confining for me. Never wanted to be actresses.

      Delete
  5. I think memories become more important, or we appreciate them more, as we get older. I love reminiscing :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right. In my case, I think it's because I have more years behind me than I do ahead of me. Memories are good in retrospect because you have forgotten any bad things associated with them.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day