Monday, July 23, 2012

A New Story, A Spanking and Dancing



Home is Not Always Where You Live

Lisa Davis was driving down the bumpy dirt road wondering why she had agreed to this.   She had grown up on a hard scrabble ranch much like the Lonesome Oak.  When she left she vowed she would never look back.

Until she was five years old she didn’t realize they were poor.  Her momma and daddy loved her, her sister and each other.  There was always a lot of singing and hugging and kissing going on in their little house. She never felt the lack of anything.  But that changed in the fall of the year she turned five, the year she started school. That was when she found out she was poor, not just poor but dirt poor.  The other kids taunted her out of style clothes, her worn down shoes and even her lunch bucket and the contents therein. She hated school and by the time she reached the fourth grade she didn’t want to go anymore.  She started getting into scrapes and then she and Amanda Bennett had a hair pulling contest at recess and ended up in the principal’s office.  Her momma and daddy had to come to the school and have a conference with Ms. Snelling.  After that conference Ms. Snelling took an interest in Lisa.  She actually became her champion and instilled in her her love of reading.  Ms. Snelling was the reason she had excelled in school.  Lisa went on to win scholarships to the university and then law school.  She passed the bar on her first try and now she was a junior partner in a very prestigious law firm.  She commanded a six figure salary, owned several pieces of real estate, drove a Lexus and was lonely as hell. Oh, she had many acquaintenances and plenty of invitations to social events but since her best friend Jan had married and moved across the country there was no one she could call at a moment’s notice to grab a cup of coffee or catch a movie.  She missed the closeness. There was no man in her life right now – there hadn’t been one since law school.  She had dates but no one she would miss if they never called again.

As she continued driving down the road suddenly the car lurched and swerved to the side of the road.  She edged the car further to the side of the road and got out.  Immediately she saw the problem.  Her right rear tire was destroyed. The drainage ditch running alongside the road was filled with water from the recent thunderstorm.  There was no way she was going to be able to replace the tire.  She tried her cell phone but there wasn’t any service this far out.  Her only hope was that someone would be coming along that could lend a hand.  If someone didn’t come by within the next half hour, she would begin walking.  The ranch house could not be that much further she had already come more than two miles.

As she waited she cursed herself and blamed her sister Linda for being in this predicament.  Linda had called early last week and asked if she could come out to River Bend to help out a friend. 

Linda, a veterinarian, had moved to Wyoming when she married.   Her husband Jake, a large animal vet she had met in vet school, had been born and raised in this area.  His family had been here for generations and had a large cattle ranch that abutted Lonesome Oak on the southwestern side. 

She was here to meet Clint Sampson. He had inherited the Lonesome Oak Ranch from a distant relative.  Her sister had convinced her that Clint Sampson needed her help.  Lisa had agreed to come here to meet him, discuss the situation and see what she could do.  Once she assessed the problem if it couldn’t be solved quickly she would refer the case to a local attorney.  While she was here she could visit with her sister and enjoy some much needed down time.

She saw a beat up truck coming toward her.  As the truck got closer she realized it wasn’t as old as it appeared- just mud splattered.  It slowed down and came to a stop.  Out stepped this gorgeous male specimen.  He was dressed in blue jeans that fit his long lean legs like a glove, a chambray shirt that was well worn and outlined his muscular chest and arms, boots that had long since been new and a Stetson pulled down low over his eyes. She was certain he would have a great butt too and couldn’t wait until he bent down so she could drool over that too. 

“Looks like you got yourself in a pickle here, Ma’am”, he said grinning.

“Ya think” said Lisa.  “I tried using my cell phone but there’s no service out this far I guess”

“It’s spotty at best, Ma’am.”  “Let’s see if I can wench the car a little further onto the road so we can get that tire changed”.

“I would appreciate that”. 

“If you don’t mind my asking, what are you doing out this way anyway.  There’s not much else out this way except the Lonesome Oak Ranch”.  “Are you coming to visit one of the ranch hands?”

“Not that it is any of your business, but I am here to meet with the owner, Clint Sampson”.

“Ma’am, no need to get snippy, you big city girls always have an attitude.”

“I am not a big city girl.  I grew up on a ranch much like this.  And, furthermore, I am not being snippy.” I’m sorry if you thought different.  It’s just that I have had a long drive; I am thirsty and tired and wanted to meet with Mr. Sampson before I went over to my sister’s place.  I tried calling but as I said I didn’t have any bars”. 

“I’m Lisa Davis and you are?”

“I’m Clint Sampson. It appears you get to meet me after all.  I had forgotten that Linda said you would be calling.  I didn’t expect you to come in person.  I am not even sure why I agreed to meet with you.  Your sister Linda is a very persuasive person.”

The next chapter can be found by following this link
Continue following the story by clicking  now
For more reading follow here
Finally, conclusion

.

18 comments:

  1. Stop making it so predictable? What do you mean? Isn’t Lisa going to happily end up over Clint’s lap?
    That was definitely an attitude. Starting a conversation with telling the nice man, it’s not any of his business.
    I’ll give you another easy prediction: I’ll be here, first thing Wednesday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll see you on Wednesday - it's long so it will go on til next week.

      Delete
  2. I predict that she will continue to be a little snippy! LOL. Will enjoy the next part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she is a big time lawyer. Hope you do enjoy the whole story.

      Delete
  3. I think I would like Wednesday to hurry up! :)

    Dee x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure hope there is SOME predictability!! I also hope it 'ends' well!! lol
    You are so prolific, but we are happy to partake!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always pretty sure that Matt Dillon was going to come out on top - but I watched Gunsmoke for 20 some years. So there is something to be said for predictability! You know I love your stories, I'll be back Wed.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know this story. I sent it to you to critique back in February. Matt gets the girl.

      Delete
  6. Something to look forward to...love it!
    abby

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your stories SG so I'll be back tomorrow.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Ronnie. It's a long one, goes on til next week

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm hooked and can't wait for the next part, sunnygirl!

    Love,
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see what happens!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day