Thursday, October 11, 2012

Winter is Coming - Ready Or Not



Winter is coming and I don't mean the calendar season.  I mean the winter of my life.  It has passed so quickly, like the blink of an eye.  While I may have many years ahead of me, I realize that I have more behind me. One of my favorite sayings is that the Grinch came and stole forty years because I woke up one day and they were gone. Yet this summer has taught me that age doesn't matter.  Tomorrow is not a guarantee for anyone, young or old. This poem is a gentle reminder to live each day as if it were your last, because it just might be.


Winter of My Life
You know. . . Time has a way of moving quickly
And catching you unaware of the passing years.
It seems just yesterday that I was young,
Just married and embarking on my new life with my mate.
And yet in a way, it seems like eons ago,
And I wonder where all the years went.
I know that I lived them all...
And I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams...
But, here it is... The winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...

How did I get here so fast?
Where did the years go and where did my youth go?
I remember well...
Seeing older people through the years and thinking that those
Older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off
That I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like...
But, here it is...
My friends are retired and getting grey...
They move slower and I see an older person now.
Some are in better and some worse shape than me...
But, I see the great change...
Not like the ones that I remember who were young and vibrant...
But, like me, their age is beginning to show and we are now those
Older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.


Yes, I have regrets.
There are things I wish I hadn't done...
Things I should have done, but indeed,
There are many things I'm happy to have done.
It's all in a lifetime...
So, if you're not in your winter yet...
Let me remind you, that it will be here faster than you think.
Whatever you would like to accomplish in your life, please do it quickly!
Don't put things off too long!!
Life goes by quickly. So, do what you can today,
As you can never be sure whether this is your winter or not!
You have no promise that you will see all the seasons of your life...
So, live for today and say all the things you want your loved ones to remember...
And hope they appreciate and love you for all the things
You have done for them in all the years past!!

Life is a gift to you from God.
The way you live your life is your gift to those who come after.
Make it a fantastic one.

~ And, Remember ~
"It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold or silver."

This poem is a wonderful reflection of life.   It made me stop and contemplate when I first received it and I have read it many times since.  The words and thoughts of the writer have rambled around in my head for years.  

See you late for more Aimless Ramblings.



23 comments:

  1. What great thoughts Sunnygirl. Wherever one finds themselves in life, when we realize these things it puts us in a place where we have so much to give to others. Pretty true of you I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are great thoughts, so very true. The writer catches the essence of what life is all about.

      Delete
  2. I've been lucky enough to enjoy each stage of my life. I see this as my fall and we all know winter comes quickly on falls heels. I plan to enjoy that too! This was a great poem.

    Hugs,
    PK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed all the stages too, some more than others.

      Delete
  3. Winter is a beautiful season.
    Keep enjoying each day as if it is your last.
    If it turns out not to have been your last day, then you lost nothing, but gained a beautiful memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard two lots of bad news this week so this lovely poem is a real reminder to live each day to the full. Thanks SG.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need reminders now and again. We have a tendency to get lost in the minutia.

      Delete
  5. This poem really puts things in perspective, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sit here with tears in my eyes, but thankful to have read these words. Thanks for sharing Sunny Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, Sunny :)
    I think we all feel like time is speeding up somehow, but the wonderful thing is that winter is a lovely season. Women in their 70s and 80s look vibrant and beautiful. Someone made a comment about their character on my blog, who they resembled in personality and I thought it was really cool, so I turned to Ian and asked who I resembled in character on tv or in movies.
    He thought for a long time and then he said, Betty White?!!?
    I said WHAT?
    Betty White is an elderly woman.
    He said, she is really pretty, Sweepea. She is feisty and the damnedest things come out of her mouth - no, that is who you remind me of.
    Ladies in their 80s are pretty says my 50 year old husband. :)

    Winter is a beautiful season, you just need the right outfit. :D
    Hugs and thanks for the lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you volunteering to find me the right outfit when I'm 80? LOL

      Betty White, I can see he would think that because she is pretty outrageous. WWID (What would Ian do) That's the great part of getting older, you get away with saying and doing most everything.

      Delete
  8. I think we really feel free to appreciate all that life holds for us as we get older. We understand that we need to cherish each and every person-- and moment in life. What is the alternative? I so love that you put this up today, it helped me put my own issues in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful sunnygirl! Thanks so much for sharing.

    Blessings,
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful sentiment reminding us to treasure each and every moment in our life and to live life to the fullest. I know I am certainly grateful each and every day. Thank-you for sharing. :-) Terps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always try to make the most of every day because once it's gone, it's gone forever. I am grateful for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me.

      It is a lovely reminder.

      Delete
  11. A lovely poem, and all too true.

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hermione and thank you so much for your help in adding "My Stories" in a separate place on the page. Couldn't have done it without you. You are a gem.

      Delete
  12. Late, again. Sigh... But very glad I made it here. It's like going back home to all my family.

    Sunny, I love the Country song by Tim McGraw-hill "Live Like You Were Dying." It was one of a few songs that have me hope I could wake from the fog I'd allowed myself to live in with my ex. It took many more years, but I finally had to admit I'd die fighting that fog if I stayed.

    I'll always be sad we couldn't blow it away together - we lost so much more than just the two of us - but, I started really living again, and gave my children the opportunity to see what that looked like. That inner wakening and outer life changes also opened me to being able to take another chance to be a couple when my D found me again.

    It hasn't been easy, and I don't live like I am dying - still working on it, but here's to trying to live each day as though there won't be a tomorrow. Cheers, Sunny, and thank you!

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that song too. So happy things are working out for you. Nothing worth while is ever easy but the outcomes are worth the hard work.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day