Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanks For The Memories


Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers for the loss of our dear friend.

It was not unexpected, he had been battling acute leukemia for the last eighteen months, but that doesn't make it any easier to accept.  I met him 43 years ago yesterday.    We (being a conglomeration of single ladies) were all living away from family and came together for a Thanksgiving celebration.  He came with his brother who was dating one of the gals.  He was a giant of a man - six feet eight inches of him, a deep baritone voice and a laugh that reminded one of a lion's roar. He and my best friend made a connection and he became part of my life.  I met Ray the very next day and they too became best friends.  The four of us traveled through the up's and down's of life, across many states, but never lost that connection.

He was a gentle giant, a heart bigger than you could imagine, witty, intelligent, caring and many more adjectives, but you get the picture. 

We, (my bestie, my husband and I) along with countless others, celebrate his life and are
thankful for having had him in ours.

See you later for more Aimless Ramblings

17 comments:

  1. Wonderful memories, Sunny. We, too, have lost a very dear and close friend to leukemia. And now we heard yesterday that another friend has slipped away and we have yet another "celebration" of someone's life to attend. But how fortunate to have these people in our lives! How fortunate to have these beautiful memories to celebrate.

    Hugs and loving thoughts for you, my friend!

    Ami

    ReplyDelete
  2. my thoughts are with all of you. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry for your loss. He sounds like such a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many hugs to you my friend.
    How nice you can turn your grief to a celebration.
    43 yers !! Wow !!

    Love,
    Mona Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. He will be missed.....and remembered my many! Hugs to you...
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with you all. Celebrating his life sounds like a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sympathies for your loss. Having good friends in our lives is one of God's richest blessings.

    Blessings,
    George

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing such a lovely memory with us Sunny. I am sure you are a great source of comfort to your friend. Sending healing energy for all of you as you celebrate his life.

    Hugs and Blessings...
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  9. My deepest sympathies sunnygirl. I have lost so many over the years that I have started thinking about it not as a loss, but as gaining an angel. Yes, I would prefer they still be here, but thinking of them as angels helps some. I believe that while you all celebrate his life he will be with you as another guardian angel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely way to remember a good friend. I cannot imagine how difficult it is to lose a loved one who has shared so many years with you.
    I will be thinking of all of you this season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Sunny, a lovely tribute to a dear friend and what wonderful memories you have. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers and with you all as you celebrate his life.

    ((Hugs))
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sunny, my deepest condolences to you and Ray for your loss of such a dear, longtime friend. I know your hearts will be eased as you celebrate his life, and whenever you think of your times spent with him. I'm sure those will be many as he was such an important part of your lives. That lifetime of memories will walk with you as you face the changes his absence brings to your best friend and the two of you.

    I am especially thankful this Thanksgiving to have shared a sliver of friendship with you throughout this past year, and hopefully for many years to come.

    May you feel continue to feel God's grace and blessings this Thanksgiving. Big hugs to you, Ray and your bff. I'll keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

    Irishey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry I missed your post about him...big hugs I know its hard no matter what. big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah sunnygirl, you brought tears to my eyes. It sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful friendship.
    You're in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. many happy memories to remember and treasure forever. Sending light and love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm late, but I'm gonna comment anyway...

    I am so sorry for your loss. There are not many who can say they have had friends for 43 years. How blessed you are!

    Thoughts and prayers during this difficult time

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day