Monday, June 20, 2016

Puling up Stakes


Hope you enjoy the first part of this story.  I'm on vacation and I only hope I have time to finish the story for next week.



MaryBeth was on her hands and knees working in her garden when she heard a commotion out front.  She looked up to see a moving truck pulling into the driveway. She was hot and sweaty and covered in dirt, but they had the wrong address an before they started unloading she wanted them to know.

“Hey guys,” she called out.  “You have the wrong address, this is my driveway, and I have all the stuff I need thank you very much.  You better check your manifest.”

“Look, lady, I’m only the driver.” 

“Mister, you do what you want, but anything you unload is going to have to be reloaded because I’m not accepting anything, but suit yourself.”  She went back to her gardening.

She didn’t want to be bothered anymore so she put on her tunes and the sounds of drowned out the world and she was in her own private place.  She finished gardened and went in to take a shower. Mary Beth was only beginning to enjoy the hot steamy water sluice down her body when she heard a pounding on her door.  Deciding to ignore it, she went on enjoying the blissful feel of the water as it cleaned her body and soul.  After finishing the shower and going downstairs, she checked the door.  When she opened it, she was floored.  Her driveway was filled with furniture and boxes.

She must have said what the hell out loud because a response of “yeah, my thoughts exactly” penetrated her brain.  Coming from around the back of her house was this gorgeous guy.  He had to be at least six foot something, and he had this authoritative air about him that made her suck in a breath. 

“Do you know anything about this?” he demanded more than asked.

“I know it’s not mine.  I tried to tell them that, but obviously, I was ignored.”

“Why did you let them continue?” His voice reminded her of her dad’s when she was in trouble. No way was she going to allow him to make her responsible for what obviously a major screw-up.

“Mister, I’m sorry I don’t know your name. But I’m not to blame, and I don’t like be yelled at by someone I don’t even know.  I told them to check the manifest and that I wasn’t accepting anything and went back to minding my own business.  What happened after that is none of my concern.”

Suddenly realizing he was acting like a jackass of the first magnitude, he apologized.

“I’m sorry.  I’m Marcus Ware. Forgive my rudeness. I bought the place next door and obviously the moving company mixed up the address.”

“Wow, I didn’t even realize the Jenkins’ had sold the place.”

“I have the deed to prove it.” 

“I do not doubt your word just surprised that’s all.  I’m Mary Beth Rossi.”

“I don’t mean to be a complete jackass, but I’ve got to get this straightened out and get this stuff inside. Can I use your phone to make a call?  There’s something wrong with me cell and I can’t seem to get a signal.”

“Sure, come on in the house.  Cell phone service around here leaves a lot to be desired.  It’s the geography – deep in the valley and too many trees.”

“Gotcha, I really appreciate this, and I’m sorry for being such a boor in the beginning. It is so frustrating.”

“Apology accepted.”

“Maybe I could take you and your husband out to dinner as an apology.”

“Not necessary, but it’s only me- no husband.  At least, not any more.”

“Sorry, does that call for congratulations or commiserations?”

“A little of both, I guess.  Too young married and too old to change.”

“You or him?”

“Both

“Well, Mary Beth, assuming I can get this stuff taken care of my dinnertime, would you have dinner with me.”

“Sure.”  Marcus Ware was one fine specimen of a man.  His brown hair could use a trim, but it was kinda cute the way he kept running his fingers through it as he talked. She wasn’t sure if it was a nervous habit or he wasn’t used to it falling onto his face.  Mary Beth realized she didn’t even know if there as a Mrs. Marcus Ware.  It was something she best find out before she made a complete fool of herself.

His voice kept getting louder the longer he spoke, and she realized he didn't have much success in getting the issue resolved.  He hung up the phone and was cursing to himself.

“No luck huh?”

“They can’t have anybody out until tomorrow.  That doesn’t help me tonight, and it’s supposed to rain.”

“How about if I call a few of my pals and see if they can come over. If the garage is empty, maybe we can get it all in there.  What do you think?”

“I hate putting you out, but I really do need the help?”

Mary Beth had grown up in Grovesner, and there weren't many people she didn’t know. One call to Billy Joe and they were set.

“Billy Joe and his crew will be here in about thirty minutes.  Why don’t we go check out the garage and start hauling in what we can?  I have a dolly out on the back porch.”

“I’m going to owe you more than a dinner, Mary Beth.”

“Yeah, you are.  I promised the guys you were springing for pizza and beer afterward.”

He laughed.  “That’s a lot of presumption, isn’t it?”

“Was I wrong?”

“No, but usually it’s the guy who makes those kinds of decisions.”

“Maybe in your world,” she answered with a giggle.


 The garage was practically empty and what was in the way was moved to the side.  Marcus told Mary Beth he bought the house and the contents but he’d have to go through the stuff before deciding what to keep and what to toss or donate.  Most of the boxes were loaded onto the dolly and stacked in the garage so that only the bigger items were left when Billy Joe and his crew arrived.

After a quick handshake all around, the guys started hauling the stuff inside.  They were carrying in the last item when the rain started.  Everyone ran for the cover of Mary Beth’s porch as the rain began coming down in sheets.

“I have coke and water, anyone interested?”

“I remember being lured here under the pretense of pizza and beer afterward,” Bobby said. “Was I mistaken?”


“No, I learned Ms. Rossi made that commitment without my knowledge.  We’re going to have a discussion about that later.”  He gave Mary Beth one of his best smiles and his eyes twinkled on the last syllable. 

“Oooohh sounds serious,” Billy Joe said.

                                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marcus Ware was a law enforcement officer that had moved to Grosvner from Texas.  He had retired as a Texas Ranger and was now working with the Humboldt County Sherriff’s Office in their IT Department.  He was originally from the surrounding area and wanted to get back to a simpler life.  He had no wife or children to tie him to Texas, so when he heard about the opportunity in HCSD, he took it.

Marcus and Mary Beth saw each other almost some part of every day, as neighbors and friends.  When he invited her to the Harvest Moon Dance, she wasn’t sure if it was a real date.

“How am I supposed to think of this?”

“What do you mean?”

“Surely, you can’t be that dense.  Are you asking me as a neighbor/friend or as a date?”

“I’m asking you as a date. I’ve hesitated until now because I didn’t want to create any Hatfield vs. Mc Coy issues if we don’t work out.  Unless I’m getting the wrong signal, I don’t see that as an issue, do you?

“No, I was wondering how long it was going to take you.  I was getting a bludgeon ready.”

He laughed and said, “Girl, you and I are definitely going to have some issues, but I know how to problem solve.”


See you later for more Aimless Ramblings.



9 comments:

  1. Oh, I like them. Thanks for another great story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the beginning of a fun relationship. Looking forward to the rest of the story. Have a wonderful vacation!

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sunny, great story, hope you have a lovely holiday
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sunny, thank you for another wonderful story. I like this couple too and look forward to reading more :) Have a wonderful vacation.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like these two SG. Look forward to reading more. Enjoy your holiday and say hello to the girls for me.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this story Sunny and can't wait for the next part. enjoy your holiday with all the other girls.
    Hugs Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh seems like a good story!
    Say hi to everyone on vaca, and cause SOME mischief!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am already looking forward to part two

    ReplyDelete
  9. As always I love this couple....can't wait to read more. I know you are having fun...and causing trouble..or us that someone else?
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day