Monday, June 25, 2018

Hello and ...

Hello again. If I have any readers left, welcome back.  

Vacation was great. Watching my grandson walk down the aisle to get his high school diploma brought tears to my eyes and a tug at my heart.  I can still see him running down the hall butt naked as he liked to do after a bath, beyond that I remember the thrill of his first picture (the sonogram) announcing his impending arrival, the first time I held him in my arms; then I remembered back to all those memories of his mother and know how she feels releasing her firstborn into the real world. It's a sobering experience.

The day after the graduation the six of us piled into the car and spent the day wandering around Monterey Wharf.  I bought the one and only thing on the entire trip there.  Ray jokes that I have a sweatshirt from everywhere we visit because I never bring a jacket.  Monterey was no exception, the daytime was wonderful, but once the sun started to set, the breeze off the water was kind of brisk.  Surprised him though, I didn't buy a sweatshirt, instead, I bought a fleece jacket in my color.  It did come in handy a couple of times on the trip, but then I mixed it in with my Clearwater sweat jacket from a previous trip.

We left that area the following morning after breakfast with our daughter.  It was sad to leave but easier knowing that soon my beloved will be celebrating his 75th birthday and she's coming to share the experience.

Our next stop was Cambria.  It is a small seacoast town not too far from San Simeon and Hearst Castle which we planned to tour.  It's funny, but all the years living in California and passing it numerable times, we never stopped, so this was the perfect opportunity.  We stayed at a place called Cambria Pines Lodge which is a resort settled among the pines  Great place, we stayed in a quaint cottage, decorated in the style of the Hearst Castle era. I booked it through TravelZoo - it was great, two nights, a dinner with a bottle of wine and two full breakfasts for one price.  Definitely the best deal of the entire trip.  Hearst Castle sits atop a mountain and the view is spectacular.  The tour was worth taking to get some of the histories of the castle and such.  The furnishings were opulent but I couldn't help but think that it was decadence of the royal order (think Old Hollywood as depicted in the movies) except this stuff was real and worth millions.

That was the end of schedule portion of the trip.  After that, we were traveling on a whim with no particular destination in mind except it would be along the coast.  We couldn't take Highway 1 all the way which was disappointing.  There was a huge landslide last year and it is still closed so we missed some of those breathtaking vistas through Big Sur.  

We did manage to make a stop at Pea Soup Anderson's, a landmark restaurant along 101, famous for it's,  guess what - pea soup.  Ray always made it a point to stop there and it was close to lunch so....  It's the same but the town, Buellton, has grown up around it.  Not too far is the Danish village of Solvang, noted for their pastries and Scandinavian charm.

In case you haven't guessed by now, this travelogue is in place of a story.  Not once on the whole trip did I write one word - so much for plans.  It did get me thinking though that I'm going to follow through on what I've been thinking about for a while.  I'm going to take a break from Monday stories and blogging in general - at least through the summer.  I'm not going totally away and will post here and there but not on a regular schedule.  For some time now, I've felt like a fraud on this venue with the only thing making it legit in my eyes was that I supplied stories about TTWD.  Well, lately I've fallen off that horse and can't seem to get back up.  A break might be just what I need.

So, now that I've given you the news, I think I will end this week's post and who knows the remainder of the trip might be another post in a couple of days or next week.  Who knows?

Thanks for reading and see you later for more Aimless Ramblings.




24 comments:

  1. Sunny,
    I am happy you had a great time. Your family time sounds wonderful.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sunny,

    Glad you had such a wonderful trip and time with family. Congratulations to your grandson :) I really enjoyed reading about your trip and the places you visited. A great American geography lesson for someone on the other side of the world :)

    I will very much miss your posts and Monday stories. You are definitely not a fraud. I hope you do post from time to time and let us know how you are doing.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz - as usual your praise is heartfelt and appreciated.

      I will be around, here and there. I plan to return again, but I need a break.

      Delete
  3. Well, you certainly still have friends who read. Your trip sounds wonderful....and yes, I got a picture this morning of the oldest grand, her last day of school before moving on to middle school...time, sure does seem to fly by.
    I so understand about taking a break, I was there not that long ago....You are not a fraud, you are a part of our 'circle'...you will be missed, so pop in and let us know how you are doing...hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you abby. Grands grow even faster than the first group, don't they?
      I love being part of 'our circle' and don't take it lightly.

      Delete
  4. SG,

    Your family trip sounds wonderful. Congratulations to your grandson.

    Abby and Roz have already said it - no way are you a fraud. We will all miss you and your Monday stories but I do understand about taking a break. Have been thinking about that myself. I hope you do pop in and let us know how you are.

    Love and hugs,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie. Hoping the break will refresh my muse. Until then I'll stop in occasionally and read.
      As for the break, I can't tell you how relieved I feel not to have to come up with a story every Monday. It became a chore and I didn't enjoy anymore.

      Delete
  5. Sunny,
    Your travelogue and family news was just as welcome as your spanking stories. Don't stay away too long. Your voice is always a bell that rings for all of us that love you.

    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella. I'll hang around, may even become a lurker.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you had such a good trip too. I'm still dreaming for those grandkids for myself.

    Now about this break. I suppose I'll have to let you take it since I have no say over the matter. BUT, you better brush up on your emailing skills because, Miss Rotten Communicator, it's going to cost me too much to come to your town and stalk you. Keep in touch or else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not getting rid of me, I'm just taking a break.

      Delete
  7. Sounds like it was a great vacation, Sunny! ... those grandkids seem to grow faster than the kids, don't they.
    I can well imagine it gets harder to keep blogging as time rolls on ... enjoy your break, Sunny. Hope to see you back again another day ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great vacation and you're right about grandkids.

      It was becoming a chore so a break was needed. I'm sure I'll be back but until then I'll stop in time to time.

      Delete
  8. Not a fraud. Love the stories. Will be looking forward to whatever you do find the inspiration to post whenever. Take care and recharge. A break can do wonders. Glad you had such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed the travelogue (perhaps because I love traveling in that area)!
    How can you possibly even consider yourself a fraud?? Regardless, breaks are good for the soul. Hope to hear from you soon.
    Best,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a beautiful area - one that I never tire of seeing.
      Thanks Enzo for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. Well, I loved that travelogue! Maybe you should consider writing for some travel magazine! I think you’d be great!
    Fraud? I don’t think so....! I thought those of us here were here because of an interest in TTWD. I believe it was any way we expressed or absorbed it! It may be in only reading.... writing, art.....trying it out as an erotic venue or as discipline! Take a break.... but check in when you are able or just comment some times! Do it your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're funny - just what we need another travel book. Maybe I could get a job in the Notting Hill Book Store. Laughing at the thought, but thank you.

      Delete
  11. I'm with Minelle. You give great descriptions and make me want to travel too! Enjoy your vacationing and I'll look forward to hearing all about your adventures.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on enjoying the break and when I get the itch you'll hear from me.
      Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed your travelogue, Leigh. Glad you and Ray had a great time.
    There’s no way you’re a fraud. Do what you need to do but please pop in from time to time, we’ll miss you.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you may just get the rest of the travelogue. Who knows? We did have a great time and I'm sure I'll be back when I've refreshed.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day