Monday, August 28, 2017

Kismet

Another week just flew by and I just realized that next weekend is Labor Day Weekend. 
Where did the summer go?


Kismet

Jenna Marx was the last of her college group of friends still single.  She had been on more fix ups than you could count.  Each friend’s husband had a friend and so on and so on.  It put her in a difficult situation because she didn’t want to upset anyone’s feelings or ruin a friendship over a blind date.  Somehow all these fellows would find someone – it just wasn’t going to be her. She must have finally drained all of their resources because she hadn’t had a request in a while. 

Her 30th birthday was on the horizon and her friends invited her to lunch.  They pooled their funds and bought what they thought was the perfect gift for the girl who had everything but a husband.  They bought her a speed dating session. 

For those of you who are unaware of this, it is an event that allows individuals to meet a myriad of partners within an allotted period of time.  Each participant is allowed five minutes to get to know the other person.  If so, they exchange numbers and, if not, they move on to the next contestant.

Jenna couldn’t believe they would do this, but they did.  Being the good friend she was, she begrudgingly agreed to accept the gift.   The next speed dating session was scheduled for the following Friday and Jenna signed up.

There were twenty contestants of each sex.  The room was set up with desks and chairs on each side.  The women stayed put, while the men moved on when the buzzer sounded the end of their five-minute time allotment.  After meeting her first three men, Jenna understood why these men were here.  Like her blind dates, they were all misfits for her as far as she was concerned.  When the fourth guy sat down, Jenna was mildly interested. Outward appearances gave her the impression this was a man who might get her number.  He was well-spoken and mannerly and when the buzzer sounded she gave him her card.

The next two men were unacceptable to her and she’d had enough.  She’d been through half of the twenty men and only one peaked her interest.  Not one to waste time, she faked an urgent phone call and left the building.  She was at the revolving door when she heard her name called. Turning, it was contestant number 4.

“Leaving?”

“Yes, I am.”

“Isn’t that rude – after all you made a commitment?” 
  
“Maybe so,” she replied and entered the revolving door.  ‘There goes the only interesting possibility, I’m sure he’ll never call.’

Jenna was correct – he never did call but then Kismet wasn’t done with her.

Several weeks later, she and her associates were gathered in the conference room to meet with a potential new client.  Much to her surprise, contestant #4 was the client.  Their eyes met and recognition set in.  Introductions ensued and when it came Jenna’s turn, he smiled and said that he and Ms. Marx had already met.  All eyes turned to her, but neither of them elaborated and the meeting commenced.  The presentation went well enough to make changes and scheduled another meeting. 

 ‘Will you be sticking around, Ms. Marx?’

Flummoxed at being singled out, she assured him that she and her team would be available to him.  As the meeting ended and all were filing out of the conference room, he detained her.

“May I have a moment of your time, Ms. Marx?”

Her associates looked at her quizzically but continued emptying the room until it was just the two of them.

“Does my presence make you uncomfortable, Ms. Marx?



“No, not at all.  I was a little surprised at first to see you considering the circumstances of our last meeting.”

“and why is that Ms. Marx?”

“You’re the head of a rather large company and participating in a speed dating service doesn’t seem to fit the picture.”

“Yet, you did it.  Couldn’t the same be said for you?”

“It was a gift from friends, I couldn’t very well turn it down.”

“Yet, you did in a way, didn’t you?  You never stuck around to see it through to the end. Is that a habit?”

Jenna wasn’t sure how to handle this situation. If it wasn’t for him being a client, she would have told him to get lost, but circumstances being what they were, she had to respond in a more professional manner.

“No, it isn’t a habit.  Perhaps I should ask if my being on this team is making you uncomfortable with choosing our company to run your campaign?”

She detected a small smile.  “No, Ms. Marx.  I have no doubt about the capabilities of not only yourself but your associates too.  I think working together will be mutually beneficial.  I was just curious – you don’t seem the type of girl that would seek male companionship in that type of setting.”

“and why wouldn’t I?”

“You seem a little too snobbish and opinionated.  Not the type of girl who would be open to an experience of that sort.”

“I could say the same of you – not the snobbish or opinionated part.”

He smiled a little at the last part.  “I’ll tell you my reason.   I’m new to the area and my job takes so much of my time that I haven’t had the opportunity to meet anyone outside of work. I have no friends or family and it seemed a good way to meet people that are looking for the same thing. Does that answer your question?”

“Yes, it does.  Now, I have to get back to work.  Nice meeting you again and I look forward to working with you.”

She walked him to the elevator and shook hands.  He watched her walk away and that sway in her backside fascinated him.  ‘Was that for his benefit?’ he wondered.  ‘Maybe when this project is complete…’

The project took six months to complete and in all that time, never once did Jenna interact with #4.  About two weeks later, there was a message on her phone.

‘Care to have dinner with me sometime?’  No hello, goodbye or anything but that simple statement.  The man intrigued her.  She texted back and asked for details.

She received the same no nonsense reply.  Saturday night, pick you up at 6:00. Need address

‘Was this guy for real?’  She had to follow through.  Since the first meeting with John J. Mc Intyre, she was intrigued.  Was he always so cryptic and no nonsense? If so, did he have a soft underbelly, she would soon find the answers.

John J McIntyre picked her up dressed in khaki’s, a blue button down shirt, and loafers with no sock.  As if that wasn’t surprise enough, he drove a late model red Corvette convertible. 

“You are a surprise.” she told him as she climbed into the car.

“How’s that?”

“You seem so button down and corporate, a man of few words and here you are in a flashy car and not buttoned down at all.”

“Impressions can be misleading."

When he pulled into the joint – and that is the only word she could think of that fit, she was a little apprehensive. It looked as if the building could collapse at any moment, the décor was early junkyard with all sorts of mismatched tables and chairs, the wooden planked floor had had indentations of thousands of feet.  She doubted this place would ever receive any Micehelin five-star rating or any rating at all, for that matter.  She only hoped she would escape without food poisoning.  Was she ever surprised.  The shrimp, was plump and moist, the salad crisp, the potatoes browned beautifully and the steak to die for. 

“This place is amazing, how did you ever find it?  I’ve never even been in this part of town and I’ve lived here all my life?”



“Not surprised, I’m sure it’s a little out of your comfort zone.”

“You really do think I’m a snob, don’t you?”

“Yes, I do, but I think I can change your mind about things.  With the right incentive, you might become a full-fledged down to earth person that doesn’t always judge a book by its cover.”

“Why do I get the feeling we’re going back to the speed dating thing?”

“Not at all.  I simply wanted to point out that things are not always as they seem.  For instance, you may think I came from a background similar to yours.  You couldn’t be further from the truth.  My beginnings were very humble and my folks still live on and run the family farm, eking out a living. What my siblings and I have we earned by hard work.”

“I’m sure you have and good for you.  On the same hand, I am not going to apologize because I had a better life than you.”

“I never said anything about a better life. My life is wonderful, I have two loving parents, siblings on whom I can rely, food on the table and a place to lay my head, I’m grateful for my upbringing.  It taught me the value of hard work and that there are good people in all walks of life, rich or poor.  It taught me that you don’t look down on those less fortunate than you whether it be in manners, brains, money or anything else.  It taught me to be grateful for what I have and appreciate but for the grace of God, I could be in their shoes.”

After that soliloquy, Jenna didn’t know what to say.

  “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to go on.”

“No, that’s fine.  I applaud you and maybe you can teach me to be a little more accepting about certain things.”

“I’m sure I could, but I’m not sure you would like the way I teach.”

“and how’s that?”

“It’s the way I was taught.  By example or failing that, the feel of a wooden spoon or belt on my bare behind.”

“Really.” Her eyes widened.

“Really.  There is nothing that makes you learn faster than the threat of that sting and the humiliation of having your bottom bared to receive the spanking.”

“I’ve never experienced that.”


“I don’t doubt that for one minute but I’ll be glad to show you.” 

 He grinned and Jenna wasn’t sure whether or not he was joking. ‘Maybe someday, she’d let him and learn the answer.  Until then, she would take it one day at a time. One thing she knew though, JJ McIntyre was an intriguing man.'

One day this week, I'm going to do Ella's meme, it's been on my agenda for weeks.  Until then see you later for more Aimless Ramblings.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Sunny, hope there is a sequel to this story, he sounds like hero material to me. Looking forward to your answers to the meme.
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan - You know when I start out writing stories I have no idea where they will go - the same goes with the endings.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sunny,

    I'm with Jan, I think this story is begging for a sequel. Really enjoyed this :) Looking forward to your answers to the meme too.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one SG. Thanks. I'm with Jan and Roz, a sequel please. I like this man.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ronnie - what do they say, always leave them wanting more. Laughing.

      Delete
  4. This year is rushing by way too fast! Loved the story, Sunny, don't know how you do it every week. Looking forward to seeing your take on Ella's meme, it's fun to do.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie, I so agree with you about time. Sometimes I feel like a hamster on one of those wheels.

      Delete
  5. Whoah you took me back to my single days. Did one speed dating event and it was terrible. Maybe because I never got matched up with #4! LOL
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have checked with you about the process. Send me any other interesting details please.

      Delete
  6. Another wonderful story..don't know how you do it...but sure am glad you do...hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh abby, thanks. Me neither and I'm glad you come visit.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful story - please put this in your folder labeled 'To be turned into a book'. I know I'd read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PK - that folder is there on the computer - sitting there. Just need about 30000 more words for all of them. lol

      Delete
  8. Wonderful story. Hope there is a follow up or two to this one. Want to see how their relationship develops.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy - It is so rewarding to hear everyone say they want more.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day