Monday, June 4, 2018

All Rise for the Judge


Happy June everyone.  Wow, that came fast.  Are you all set for summer. The summer weather is here - 106 yesterday.  We're praying for rain but nary a drop in sight.  Fires are popping up everywhere - things are so tinder dry.  And yet, other parts of the country are being deluged.  Weather patterns have sure changed.

Ray and I are leaving this week on vacation.  I'm excited.  We're visiting family first, because of grammar school and high school graduations for our grands, then we're taking a leisurely drive down the coast highway stopping in several coastal town along the way before heading back home.  We haven't done that drive in years.  It was usually further north along the coast or flying to California.    Weather should be cooler which will be lovely before we come back to wither in the AZ summer.

I know I've said this about some others, but I think this may be either a new book or a longer story in a short story collection.  Either way, it is not finished but I'm posting in and I'm well into the second part.  I probably won't be posting the next part until I return so next week will be another retread.

Educating Jenny (Cal's Law Book 3) by [Corey, PK ]


If you want to read something new and actually finished,  may I suggest PK's latest book, Educating Jenny.  It's book 3 of that series and PK's writing never disappoints.  

You'll recognize lots of old friend in there too. 





Now for the new story.


Here Comes the Judge


“Georgie Hanson you stay away from me or else”

“Or else what, Magdalene Darling.”

“Or else I’m gonna punch out your lights”

“Yeah, you and who else”

That scenario went through Maggie's mind as she walked into the courtroom and saw Georgie Hanson sitting on the bench – the most honorable George M. Hanson now. Maggie turned around to leave the courtroom but was stopped by her attorney just entering.

“You’re going the wrong way,” he told her.

“No, I’m not.  I won’t get a fair hearing.”

“Of course you will.”

“No, the judge and I have history.”

Emil Jannings shook his head.  “What kind of history could you possibly have, you haven’t lived in this area in years.”

“Yeah, well we do and it did take place years ago.  See that scar above his right eye.”

“Yes, so what.”

“I put it there.”

“Oh, really.  The judge always says it was a war wound.”

Maggie flushed.  “As far as I know, Georgie Hanson was never in a war and I know I wasn’t. I’ll tell you how he received that scar.  He was teasing me about my name as usual and when I told him to quit, he laughed at me, so I knocked him down and punched him.  It bled something awful.  He needed stitches.”  Emil Jannings was laughing now.

“Stop laughing, it’s true and he swore I would be sorry.  There is no way he is going to give me a fair hearing.”

“Maggie, that was how many years ago.  I’m quite sure Judge Hanson isn’t still holding a grudge.”
He ushered her toward a seat in the courtroom.   She was more nervous now than before.  Her case was to get the zoning changed on her Grandma’s  (now hers ) property.  Gran Darling had passed and left her Victorian house to her only granddaughter, Magdalena.  She had plans to turn it into a bed and breakfast.  The Darling house and name were well known in these parts and she wouldn’t even have to change the name.  It was a darling house in more ways than one.  Her great-grandfather had built it for his bride when they were first married.  It had eight bedrooms and three bathrooms, unheard of in a house built at the time.  They anticipated a houseful of children but only two lived to adulthood, one of them was my Grandma. 

Grandma Darling was somewhat of a rebel – a woman way before her time.  She moved away when she was twenty and joined a dancing troupe that was touring the country.  She met my grandfather and soon became pregnant.  Much to her parent's dismay, she refused to marry the man just to get a name for her son.  “My child has a name, Darling, it was good enough for me and it will be good enough for him or her,“ she told her parents.

Steven Foster Darling was born and lived with his parents in a trailer. They were still part of the dance troupe and were performing all over.  When war broke out, Steven Foster, my grandfather enlisted and was killed in battle.  By this time, my great-grandparents' health was failing and Gram and her son, my dad, moved back to care for them.

My dad went off to college and met my mother.  She was an easterner, through and through and thought of Montana as being filled with cowboys and Indians.  It was not for her and she refused to settle there.  My dad tried it her way but could never adjust to city life.  He moved back here and I would visit him during the summer and every other Christmas.  I met Georgie Hanson during one of those summer vacations.

He was a cute little shit and I fancied myself in love with him.  He put up with me if no one else was around but would abandon me if something better came along.  It was during one of these times that we had our ‘incident.’  After that, we weren’t friends anymore, and on my visits, I no longer sought him out.

As Gram became frail, Dad sold his place and moved into the Darling House to care for her.  When Gran passed I knew the house had been left to me but there was no way I was going to displace my dad.  When he passed last spring, I decided to move to  Greenwich and convert Gram’s house into a B and B.  It was something I always wanted to do and Gran’s house was perfect and Greenwich was also a picture postcard kind of town, both in the summer and the winter.  Being a freelance writer gave me the freedom to work anywhere and the extra money from the B&B allow me to live very comfortably.   I began making the plans to rezone the property  There now you know the story, do you still think Little Georgie will give me my approval stamp, Mr.Jennings."

"Not if you call him little Georgie Boy."  I laughed and some of my nervousness left.  So there I stood with all the T's crossed and I’s dotted.  All I needed was a rezoning ordinance for the work to begin. The plan was for two of the existing bedrooms to be converted to a large en-suite and each of the remaining bedrooms would have their own bath.  The downstairs would be the public space, library, media room and kitchen.  There was an old carriage house on the property to be converted to my living quarters.  There was ample parking and when I presented t the plans to the city council they were overwhelmingly approved. The last step in this process was the final courtroom hearing before the judge.

She sat in the courtroom looking at Georgie.  He had turned into a fine looking man, with a full head of hair that was almost white - surprising since he wasn’t that old.  Although she couldn’t see much of him under his judicial robes, he appeared in good shape.  She didn’t notice a wedding band and leaned over to ask Emil if he was married when she heard her court case called.

She stood on wobbling knees and walked toward the bench, Emil Jannings next to her and waited.
George Hanson shuffled through papers in front of him. He suddenly stopped and looked up before looking back down again.

When he next rose his head, “So Miss Magdalene Darling is it?  How is that right hook?”

Maggie was sure she was red from her neck up.   “Pardon me, your Honor.”
 
“Oh come on, Ms. Darling we both know what I’m talking about.”  His eyes twinkled and there was a slight glimpse of a smile on his lips.

“Yes, your Honor, I do.  Let me just say that I haven’t had occasion to use it for a while so I’m not sure.”

“Well, let me say, that I hope you won’t have to.”

He went back to shuffling through the papers.  “Before I make my final decision, would Ms. Darling please approach the bench.”

Emil Jannings started to walk with her.  “No Mr. Jannings, Ms. Darling only.”  Now Maggie was really nervous.  When she was right in front of him, Georgie brought down his head and in a conspiratorial whisper asked her to dinner.  Maggie was flummoxed.  “If I say no, will my plans be denied?”

“I’m sorry you think so little of me Maggs.  After all, we were childhood friends.  My decision will be based on the merits of your plan and the recommendations of the city council.  I’m just asking if you’ll have dinner with me some evening.”

“I ’d love to if you promise not to call me Maggs.  It’s not going to cause problems with your wife, or will she be joining us?”

He laughed.  “No wife, I’m a widower.”

“Sorry.”

“Don’t be, if she hadn’t passed I’m sure we would have divorced.”

“That good, huh.”

“It was, but things changed. How about you, do you have a husband.”

“No, no husband.”

“Never married  or…

“Never married.”

“Can’t say I’m surprised, if they ever showed them your right cross, it would be enough to scare away any man.”

“Ha, ha, ha.  I’m not sure I want to have dinner with you now.”

“Too late, you already accepted and the fact that you have no husband is even better because there’s been something you have coming, something I promised myself if I ever saw you again, and a husband would have definitely been a problem.”

“I really am rethinking having dinner with you.”

“Have you turned chicken, you never were before.”


“No, I haven’t turned chicken and I’ll stand by my acceptance.  Besides, I’ll always have that right hook."


See you later for more Aimless Ramblings.

25 comments:

  1. Hi Sunny,

    I'll gladly take some of your heat right now! Your upcoming trip sounds wonderful, hope you and Ray have a wonderful time away and enjoy the family time.

    Thank you for another great story, I always look forward to my Monday visit :) Really enjoyed this and look forward to reading more :)

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roz. So glad I'm able to make Mondays a little more palatable.

      Delete
  2. It's hot here, and been raining too. So hot AND mucky wet. I'm not sure if I preferred the dry heat.

    have a great time with visiting family! and celebrating all the graduations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having lived in Florida, I can relate to the hot, sticky mess. Dry heat is kind of like sticking your head in an oven, not sure what is best. I will say that moist is good for the skin

      Thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  3. Thanks very much for the shout out. You and I do like to provide reading material to our friends. I love this beginning and now I'm ready for the whole book!

    Enjoy your trip and take good care of Ray!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I don't have as much traffic anymore because I'm such a no show, but you're quite welcome.

      Me too and I have some ideas, only hope I can get them down on paper (monitor).

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful vacation. We will be thinking of you.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this story already; a book would be great!
    Enjoy your time with the family and the rest of your trip.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very good story. So happy I came by to read today. Enjoy the vacation.
    --Baker

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, this was too short, I want to read the rest. I love it.
    Hope you have a good time visiting family. We hit the low 100's here over the weekend, can't imagine what Arizona will be like in a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Blondie. Hope the rest doesn't disappoint.

      We're going to an area that is cooler than here so I'm really looking forward to some great weather.

      Delete
  8. I would hate that heat you have! The trip sounds great!
    The story is right up my alley! Love the beginning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not too crazy about that heat either, but...

      I'm looking forward to see my grandson graduate from high school. It seems only yesterday I was chasing after him after his bath.

      It's always nice to see you stop by here and I'm glad you're enjoying the story.

      Delete
  9. OK, Sunny, this sounds like a wonderful start to a story. Please let it turn into a book, my friend!

    Enjoy your road trip and family. You will certainly be missed!!

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ella. Love your feedback.

      You enjoy your trip also and I will be thinking of you and being jealous as hell even though I love what we're doing too.

      Delete
  10. SG, nice one, I hope you do turn it into a book.

    Enjoy time with your family and the rest of your trip. Sounds great.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think this may be the one.

      I'm sure we are going to enjoy the trip.

      Delete
  11. This sounds like the start of a really good book. I hope you make it a book rather than a short story. Seems like there could be a lot of fun between these two. PK recommended I look here. I'm so glad I did!
    Rosie Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you did too Rosie.

      Thanks for the encouragement. Be sure to stop back again.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sunny -
    Hope you enjoy your vacation and the graduation celebrations. Enjoy the coastal highway - I love that route! I would offer tips but I am sure you are familiar. What you may notice is the fire damage that happened with in the past year visible in many areas.

    Safe travels.
    Best,
    Enzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Enzo. I love the coastal route also, I'm sure I'll notice many changes, not only the fire damage but the growth since we last drove that route.

      Delete
  13. 106 = that is hot! Enjoy your vacation...safe travels :-) Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. Make it a Great Day